Participant Attitudes and Reaction Survey
3D Group’s Participant Attitudes and Reactions Survey tells you which areas of your courses are on PAR, and which areas need improvement so you can target your training development efforts where they are needed most. Training effectiveness can be evaluated on many levels: learning, attitude change, behavior change, ROI, transfer of learning, and, of course, participant reactions. Though trainee reaction surveys are commonplace, few measures adequately assess the core dimensions of participant reactions that lead to other important success indicators. Scientifically developed to maximize measurement reliability and validity, PAR assesses the core dimensions of participant reaction that are essential prerequisites to overall training success.
What the PAR Survey Measures
- Engagement - Measures participants’ reported level of engagement in and enthusiasm about the program. High scores on this scale are prerequisites for participant learning.
- Goal Clarity/Logistics - Measures how clearly the program goals were communicated to participants and the degree to which they feel the program was well organized. High scores represent clear goals and suggest the program was implemented smoothly.
- Instructor Effectiveness - Measures the quality of instruction and the extent to which instructors facilitated participant learning. Typically, high scores on this scale relate directly to high levels of participant learning.
- Program Pace - Measures how advanced the course was and whether participants felt the pace of instruction was too slow or too fast. Typically, high (fast) and low (slow) scores on this scale indicate low learning levels.
- Skills/Knowledge Acquisition - Measures the degree to which program participants learned new skills and knowledge through this program. High scores indicate participants’ felt they learned new skills.
- Content Relevance - Measures whether the program participants felt the topics covered in the program would be useful in their jobs. Typically, high scores on this scale indicate a strong likelihood that the skills learned will be useful on the job.
- Transfer Likelihood - Measures the extent to which participants feel they will be able to transfer what they learned in the classrooms back to their job. High Transfer Likelihood scores predict skills transfer and are strong indictors of transfer readiness in the workplace.
- Training Effectiveness - The TE Index provides an overall assessment of the course based on all reaction dimensions
Employee Assessment Overview
PAR reports range from 6–12 pages in length and contain text and full color graphs. Numerical results and written comments are included. Choose from 4 different report levels, each containing a deeper level of data analysis.
- Graphs - A graphical presentation of the average scores on the 8 scales described above.
- Graphs & Text - Graphs plus narrative text briefly describing the program and summarizing the graphical results.
- Graphs, Text & Verbatim Comments - Graphs, narrative text plus verbatim written comments from the 2 open ended survey questions.
- Graphs, Text, & Theme Analysis - Graphs, narrative text plus a theme analysis of written comments. Comments are sorted into themes.
PAR is Not Your Average Training Survey
PAR was developed using data from many diverse training environments. During assessment construction, the seven face valid scales were reduced from ten to four items each with reliability estimates ranging from .81 to .96.
Norms provide a critical benchmark for knowing where your courses stand. Depending on your training development strategy, use our national norms or customize PAR reports to include local norms.
Scales & Items
Items alone can be contradictory, unreliable and provide overwhelming detail; multi-item scales are reliable but when used alone can be too broad. PAR provides easy to read graphical displays of the seven participant reaction scales. For each dimension, PAR displays the highest and lowest rated items so you get the most important details not all of the details.
3D Group provides full service arrangements for data processing and report generation. With fast turnaround times, we can send you reports for individual courses, course families, or all courses combined. Though off-site processing is often most cost effective, site licenses may be available.
Contact a consultant to learn more about the PAR survey and how it improves the 360 degree feedback process.